A painting of Salvator Mundi was sold by Christie’s auction house in 2017 for $450m
Art and culture
1. Which artist painted Salvator Mundi, which sold for $450million in November?
2. Which city was the UK’s City of Culture this year?
3. And which city will be our City of Culture from 2021?
4. Which area of England was officially recognised as a Unesco World Heritage Site this year?
5. What prestigious award did Zanzibar-born Lubaina Himid win this year?
6. Which city opened a Louvre Art Museum this year?
Carrie Fisher and her mother Debbie Reynolds both died in December 2016
Can you name the celebrities who died this year from the following descriptions?
7. An alien burst from this actor’s stomach in 1979
8. Rock ’n’ roll pioneer who released Roll Over Beethoven in 1956
9. Oscar-winning director of The Silence Of The Lambs
10. He played James Bond seven times
11. Last Of The Summer Wine actor who gave voice to Wallace in the Wallace And Gromit films
12. TV’s Batman in the 1960s
13. Actor/comedian and once the comedy partner of Dean Martin
14. US actor best known for playing the butler Benson
15. Chef who was one of the Two Greedy Italians
16. Actor/singer who was one of The Partridge Family in the 1970s
The creator of Paddington Bear was awarded a CBE in October 2015
17. Which Japanese author won the Nobel Prize For Literature in 2017?
18. Which American finally made his speech to receive the 2016 Nobel Literature Prize?
19. The 350th anniversary of the birth of the author of Gulliver’s Travels was celebrated this year. Can you name him?
20. The bicentenary of which renowned author’s death was celebrated in 2017?
21. Which coveted literary prize was won by David Grossman for A Horse Walks Into A Bar?
22. Which author, who died in 2015, had a hard disk containing his unfinished works crushed by a steamroller according to his wishes? And can you name the writers who died this year?
23. A poet from St Lucia who won the 1992 Nobel Literature prize
24. The creator of Paddington Bear
25. English science-fiction author who wrote an autobiography called Bury My Heart At WH Smith’s
Eddie Izzard spoke at Build Studio in New York about his latest movie Victoria & Abdul
Can you match the following titles of 2017 memoirs (26-34) with the names of their subjects (a to i)?
26. Over And Out
27. Only Fools And Stories
28. Me. You. A Diary
29. The Princess Diarist
30. How To Be Champion
31. Life To The Limit
32. The Pigeon Tunnel
33. My Life, Our Times
34. Believe Me: A Memoir Of Love, Death And Jazz Chickens
a) Henry Blofeld b) Gordon Brown c) Jenson Button d) John le Carré e) Carrie Fisher f) Dawn French g) Eddie Izzard h) David Jason i) Sarah Millican
Meghan Markle attended the royal Christmas celebrations at Sandringham with Prince Harry
35. What was voted best British sitcom of all time in a survey of comedians, comedy writers and actors this year?
36. Why did the manufacturers of Ant And Dec’s Saturday Night Takeaway board game apologise?
Was it because:- a) there were many wrong answers to its questions; b) Declan Donnelly’s name was misspelt on the box; c) Ant and Dec were identified the wrong way round in a photo?
37. What did viewers of BBC Two’s Britain’s Greatest Invention vote as our best invention?
a) contraception; b) television; c) antibiotics; d) the telephone?
38. Which country won the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time in 2017?
39. What was the name of the character played by Meghan Markle in Suits?
40. What is the connection between this character’s name and Meghan Markle’s own name?
Sarah Harding made a trade at the BGC Charity Day in Canary Wharf
Can you match the 2017 TV contests (41-46) with the winners (a-f)?
43. Big Brother
44. Celebrity Big Brother
45. Britain’s Got Talent
46. Britain’s Next Top Model
a) Sarah Harding b) Isabelle Heward c) Saliha Mahmood-Ahmed d) Tokio Myers e) Isabelle Warburton f) Olivia Wardell
47. And what was the name of the 2012 Britain’s Got Talent co-winner who died this year aged 11?
OJ Simpson attended a parole hearing at Lovelock Correctional Centre in Nevada
48. Which English city featured in the title of a film that won two Oscars?
49. Which film ended the Academy Awards with 14 nominations, winning six?
50. Which were the only other two films in history to receive 14 Oscar nominations?
51. The film OJ: Made In America broke an Oscars record previously held by War And Peace in 1969. What was that record?
52. Which film won Best Film Oscar?
53. Who stars as Belle in Disney’s live-action Beauty And The Beast?
54. Which triple Oscar-winning actor announced that he was retiring to become a dressmaker?
55. Who won five times at the Grammy Awards this year?
56. Lucie Jones, right, came 15th in the Eurovision Song Contest with Never Give Up On You. When did the UK last do better than that?
a) 1996, b) 2001 c) 2006 d) 2011
57. Which rap artist brought out his 13th album entitled 4:44?
58. Which hugely popular singer celebrated her 100th birthday this year?
59. The Loves Of Mars And Venus was performed 300 years ago at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, in 1717. What made it so special?
a) It was Britain’s first opera; b) It was the first musical that allowed women on stage; c) It was Britain’s first ballet
60. Which star organised and performed at the One Love Manchester concert?
Art and culture
1. Leonardo da Vinci
4. The Lake District
5. The Turner Prize
6. Abu Dhabi
7. John Hurt
8. Chuck Berry
9. Jonathan Demme
10. Roger Moore
11. Peter Sallis
12. Adam West
13. Jerry Lewis
14. Robert Guillaume
15. Antonio Carluccio
16. David Cassidy
17. Kazuo Ishiguro
18. Bob Dylan
19. Jonathan Swift
20. Jane Austen
21. International Man Booker Prize
22. Terry Pratchett
23. Derek Walcott
24. Michael Bond
25. Brian Aldiss
35. Fawlty Towers
39. Rachel Zane
40. Her first name is Rachel
47. Pudsey the dog
48. Manchester (Manchester By The Sea)
49. La La Land
50. All About Eve, and Titanic
51. At 467 minutes, it’s the longest film to win an Oscar
53. Emma Watson
54. Daniel Day-Lewis
55. Adele 56d
58. Dame Vera Lynn
60. Ariana Grande